Sometimes it can be challenging to come up with activities to exercise your dog when you don’t have a lot of time or space (especially for apartment living).
Exercising your dog plays a big role just a feeding a well-balanced meal to your dog. Exercise not only provides numerous health benefits but will also provide your dog with mental stimulation.
When trying to find activities to exercise your dog it will depend on a few factors. First, you will need to find activities that will suit your dog’s physical and mental demands.
Also Related: Boredom Busters for Dogs
Things to consider:
- Amount of time
- How physical is the activity
- Will it mentally stimulate your dog
- Will your dog enjoy the activity or get bored
Note: Before starting any activities to exercise your dog, please discuss with your veterinarian the best course of action.
Activities To Exercise Your Dog
Ball: Head to the dog park and through the ball around. You can mix it up by heading to a dog-friendly beach.
Hide and See: A great indoor game for smaller dogs.
Agility: Some dog parks have an agility course. Or you can make your own in the backyard. Remember to take treats.
Hiking: Perfect for bigger dogs that require a lot of physical exercise. Remember to take treats and lots of water.
Walking: Early morning or late evening walks to take a nice long stroll. Perfect when you have the time to go on a long walk.
Swimming: Head to the beach for some water fun. Try throwing the ball around along the beach. It’s advised whenever your dog is near water for them to wear a dog life jacket.
Tips for safe exercise
- Speak to your veterinarian on the appropriate action plan.
- Use toys that are designed for dogs, such as using a dog ball instead of stick to reduce chances of injury.
- Be considerate on your dog’s current mobility
- Provide plenty of water and a rest every 15 minutes.
- When out and about, be considerate of other dogs and also remember to pick up your dog’s poop.
Also Related: 5 Common Signs your Dog is Lacking Exercise
Is your dog overweight?
Excess weight on dogs can be fatal, it can cause numerous health issues including joint mobility, respiratory distress and reduces the overall life expectancy of your dog.
Tips for overweight dogs
- Start slow, the weight will not fall off overnight.
- Have regular weight checks
- Follow your veterinarian’s weight loss action plan
- Do not over exercise your dog, it will take time for your dog to lose the weight.
I hope you found this blog post helpful and if you would like to add any further tips, please comment below.
Gina & Harley